When you chose to have your wedding is one of the biggest decisions you need to make. The time of year you have your big day affects the venue, flowers, food, decorations and even your dress choice. So you need to think carefully about when you plan your celebration.
Choose a winter wedding and an exterior venue and you’re going to have a lot of chilly guests on your hands. Of course, each season has its own distinct beauty and advantages, but there are also drawbacks too.
Here’s a quick guide to help you choose your perfect wedding season.
- In Portugal, the spring has beautiful weather. Sunny but not too hot, so perfect for wedding celebrations
- A great selection of flowers, fruits and vegetables to serve
- There are no guarantees with the weather, and rain is a possibility in spring months
- You may have to work around existing festive celebrations at Easter
- All those flowers means allergies could be an issue
- Long, hot days with almost guaranteed sunshine and sunsets
- It’s holiday season so more guests will be available to come to your celebration, along with their kids
- In Portugal, the summer can be very hot indeed so you’ll need to plan extra shade
- It may clash with guests’ existing holiday plans
- Flights and accommodation is more expensive in holiday season
- It’s the busy wedding season which means booked out venues
- Beautiful colours and foliage to use as decoration
- Mild weather and stunning sunsets
- Plenty of stunning seasonal produce around the harvest time
- The cold weather can suddenly appear forcing a quick change of plans
- Guests may have burnout after holidays in the summer
- Autumn weddings are increasingly popular so you may face competition for venues
- Wintry scenes and landscapes can be very beautiful and romantic
- It’s off season so you can get the best deals
- Flowers, food and drinks do better in cooler temperatures
- Cosy atmospheres
- Even in Portugal, it can get cold. So you need to have a plan to keep people warm
- Less daylight for ceremonies and photos
- It can conflict with winter and Christmas holiday plans (it is ski season after all)
Whenever you get married, it can be a stunning affair, especially at our incredible Portuguese venues. But you do need to think carefully about what kind of wedding you want and plan contingencies for the season.